Tuesday, August 10, 2010

For Joan

This latest installment is for my good friend Joan.  Yesterday evening I was still reeling with dog issues when she called and rescued me from my turmoil.  So, as promised, here is the recipe for my vegetable napoleon.  These kind of dishes vary from chef to chef.  With this particular dish, try to use tender veggies. If you use root vegetables, blanch them in boiling salted water first.  Either way, this is a solid dish to prepare in little time.

First, I love to start with caramelizing one red onion.  You can slice it any way you want as long as it is thin.

Use a small saute pan without oil and bring to high heat.  Many people use non-stick pans but.... they suck.  The trick is to bring the pan to a high temperature before adding oil.  Metal is porous and ragged before heating.  Applying heat expands metal and closes all those little jagged parts for a smooth surface.  At that point add your olive oil.


Now for the fun part!  Add the onions and quickly lower the heat by half.  All stovetops vary, you just want a light hissing sound.  This process will take about fifteen minutes or so.  During this time occasionally move the onions around to prevent scorching.


When the onions start to have a pink hue and the edges are a solid brown, turn the heat off but leave the onions there.  They will continue to cook for a few minutes without having to worry about burning them.

That is the component for at least two layers in the napoleon.  Next, I have some very fresh squash and zucchini from the Intervale.  You can slice them into thin rounds, but today I used my mandolin to make zucchini and squash noodles.

This will add that tender crunch we all love.  A Japanese mandolin is a prized piece of equipment in any kitchen, especially for veggies.  Next, I had a bunch of crimini mushrooms in the fridge.  This will add a nice earth flavor.  As before, slice thin and saute in a little olive oil.  This has a twist.  I usually open a nice bottle of wine (sauvignon blanc)  and pour a glass.  After a few minutes the mushrooms need a drink too!

I have to admit.  I cheated a little for this next part.  I love roasted peppers, but a good product in a jar is more than adequate.  That's it! Everything is done.  Now comes the fun part!  For this I used a ring mold.    I have had this for years.  If you go to Home Depot and buy a piece of aluminum tubing cut into 4" pieces, this will save some time and enhance appearance.  Press in the onions and mushrooms with a spoon.




Add the squash, zucchini, mushrooms and peppers to form distinct layers.  Today I used fresh pesto and sundried tomato tapenade.  These work perfectly with the ingredients.  To get the "stipple" effect hold the spoon at least a foot above the plate and pour slowly.  Use a spatula to hold underneath the ring mold and place in the middle of the design.  You can top with some baby salad greens.  I know it seems like a lot, but when you put it in perspective it's not.




Thanks again Joan!  You really helped me yesterday.  I hope you enjoy the recipe!  Let me know if there any questions.

1 comment: